It is important that customers have an easy, efficient and transparent experience in obtaining a music licence. PRS for Music and PPL are dedicated to improving the experience. Visit this page to find out how we work together.

PPL and PRS for music are two separate collective management organisations (CMOs). PPL collects and distributes money on behalf of performers and record companies for the use of their recorded music. PRS for Music collects and distributes money on behalf of songwriters, composers and music publishers, for the use of their musical compositions and lyrics.

Make sure you are correctly licensed to play music

The law protects music rights in different ways; this means that businesses and organisations playing recorded music in public (whether live or via CDs, radio/TV broadcasts, background music systems or other sources) will usually need to obtain a licence from both PPL and PRS for Music.

Playing music in public without the appropriate licences in place is copyright infringement and is unfair not only to the members (performers, record companies, songwriters, composers and music publishers) of each of PPL and PRS for Music who are legally entitled to a fair payment for the use of their work, but also to the many other businesses and organisations playing music who have obtained those licences.

The cost of a PPL licence and a PRS for Music licence can depend on several factors, such as business type, the size of your business, and how you use music in your business.